Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Alex and I celebrated our one year anniversary on Monday. All I heard about the Big Day was “wear fancy clothes”…one thing he knows about me: I love Fancy Dates. Though I’m not particularly comfortable with wealth, I love stepping into it from time to time. Eating at 4* restaurants, mainly. And I love experiences vs. material items.

I love my dress. Long, one-shouldered, with pretty velvet flowers gathering at the top and bottom. Sounds dreary to the average fashionista, but I assure you, it’s fabulous. I waited in my company’s lobby for my “equal half” (does that work, or could it be more like “fuzzy naked one”?)

I will say one thing, running around Times Square in formal wear trying to hail a cab, is an experience. In a second, I even felt like a rock star “all eyes on me”. Quite the change.

Quick step into a cab, uptown, 76th & Madison. Foreign territory. Posh boutiques and eateries surround us, but we head to 35 76th: The Carlyle Hotel.

A venerable UES institution. I mean, this is New York. not new york. I flash Cute, Thoughful Boyfriend a knowing grin - I had mentioned wanting to see this for a couple months now. I love surprises.

Cafe Carlyle is in the back of the building, a basement=type setting with a mural - a seeming ode to Greek Mythology. Arrival at 7: Show starts at 8:30.

Dinner, though slightly mediocre with steak & halibut in a bore of an arrangement, was satisfying upper crust (foie gras was a nice touch - though I’m sure it’s not too heart/healthy, organic or even acceptable). Woody came on at 8:30 - I was expecting a little jazzy numbers but it - another surprise - was a little more dixieland. Up-tempo.

Rain after a lovely chocolat gateau w/ raspberry coulis.

Interesting to dip a toe into a life so completely removed from my own. Again, something you can only experience in New York.



No comments: