Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Food Snob

Yes, that is I. Food snob. Almost reason number 1 for moving out of Harlem? Horrible (C-Town) grocery store run by maniacs.

I shopped for the first time at the Pioneer Market *thinking I would save money* and felt like I needed to shower afterwards. Thing is, you almost can’t live in Manhattan and not be concerned with what you eat. The city is home to thousands of restaurants and, mostly to stay in business, the chefs really care about what goes in their food. On the other hand, I am the daughter of two pretty amazing cooks. I try to buy organic (when I can afford it - and when it’s the right call - like dairy and animal products, thin-skinned fruit and veggies - those definitely need to be organic!) and I’ve learned a lot this past year about spices, spring rolls and salmonella. In this fashion, I shop, most every Sunday, at my local (Columbus & 77th) Farmer’s Market. It’s usually directly across the street in the school’s parking lot, but this summer it’s next to the Museum of Natural History on Columbus.

Neighb people, everything is there! Tasty tomatoes, sublime squash…even a violinist belting out “Annie” showtunes.



I picked up:

6 ears of sweet white corn

Plums, peaches

Jelly doughnut & Italian sesame bread (from Not Just Rugelach)

New basil & mint plants (since ours died…oops)

Arugula & Romaine

Zucchini & Tomatoes

No comments: