Friday, April 24, 2009

In Where I Make A Feast!


Oh tonight was a sheer colossus of food. And you're going to make it to - it's so easy, it's disgusting - ha, not the food, but the process. It's all about the process here, people.

Here, I made varza - a Romanian sauerkraut treat!

First, add some olive oil to a pot on medium heat. Then chop up 1 medium onion. Maybe less though, if you find it's too onion-y. After you add it and it's all "saute-ed" up, add about a 1/2 a 12 oz. can of tomato paste to the mix. Mix the onion and tomato paste mix until it reaches a less clumpy, more sauce-y consistency.



Then, oh - then comes the fun part! Open a regular old can of sauerkraut - you know, the stuff that tastes sort of sour and delicious and pour it into the pot. The juice in the can will make it as sour as you want, so if you're anti-sour, take it out. I like it semi-sour, so I pour most of it out. Then you just plop it into the pot and stir it up! After it gets pretty hot - hot - hot, cover the whole concoction with water, and watch it boil.




The point here is, that all this water need to be absorbed, yet also evaporate. Stir vigorously, do whatever ya gotta do. I don't even really know why I add expect - except my mother tells me I need it, and well, I can't argue with tradition. After all the water has leached out of the varza (about 15-30 minutes), it's perfect to eat.

No comments: