Saturday, April 25, 2009

Feast Pt. II : Stuffed Peppers with Couscous

My grandmother used to make the most delicious stuffed peppers, but these, I made with a twist. I barely eat meat (outside of restaurants) - an anomaly in my Romanian family. Growing up, I was vegan for a while, so I learned pretty quick how to stuff myself silly with weird sounding thingys like "cracked durham wheat". Couscous, I actually enjoy, and it's a lot easier to make than rice - which, for some reason, I seem to burn almost every time.

So easy mix, right? Stuff the peppers with couscous and you are filled up like you just ate some steak from Luger's.


And so, we have a pot of boiling water, and dunk some peppers into it (taking out the stems and seeds beforehand), making sure to cover the peppers with the water evenly and keep them there for 5-7 minutes, until they get tender.

Meanwhile, since you're not busy, make the couscous, but make sure you prepare it with chicken stock. Chicken stock = so much better than water. Then, pour the couscous into a bowl along with 1 tbspn olive oil, however much dill and basil you like and crumbled feta cheese. Mix up the mixture and stuff it into the peppers.

Voila, dinner! I used mozzarella cheese here as a last resort, but feta would be better. Food is food though...and I'm not about to argue.

No comments: