Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Philanthrophist. 8pm. AA Theater.

Last night, I went to see "The Philanthropist" on Broadway. It stars Matthew Broderick and Steven Weber (with cute Brit accents). However, I do not think people like it. Maybe...simple...people, don't like it? The people sitting in front of us left. In back of us. A couple rows ahead, some people left during the second to last scene. Why would you do that?


I enjoyed it, immensely, but I couldn't really figure it out at the time. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't so damn tired. Frank Rich's review explained, gift-wrapped it even, the reasons why. It's a sort of anagram on "The Misanthrope"...while the protag in "The Misanthrope" was nasty and caused havoc through all aspects of his life, Philip, Broderick's character in "The Philanthropist" was nice and well-mannered and yet still caused the same hostile results. It seems, no matter what, human nature cannot change fate - or consequences.

Another episode of "why I don't understand people".

No comments: